Wednesday, December 3, 2008

POST-THANKSGIVING GREETINGS


I hope all of you enjoyed your Thanksgiving as much as I did. However, I hope you didn't put on the pounds like I did! I was so glad I took a pair of my "fat" jeans with me to Austin. As I prepared to make the trek home, those "fat" jeans were the only ones that I could button! I know I gained at least five pounds. Everywhere I went the desserts were so tempting. I ate pumpkin pie, French silk pie, peach cobbler, chocolate cloud cookies, and oh, so divine New York cheesecake. All in more than one sitting, of course. I also put away an inordinate amount of ham, turkey and dressing, sweet potato and apple casserole, mashed potatoes and gravy, and assorted other vegetable casseroles. You know, it's fun being the guest at such feasts. That means you rarely do much of the cooking or planning. And sometimes you even miss the cleanup! More time to relax and eat.

We had some pretty big eaters at my son's house, as is evident from the following photo:

Here are some of the latest medical updates:

“I have not had any more heart problems; the monitor is in there just waiting for something to go wrong. Thank goodness I have had no problems. The battery is good for 3 years, so they plan to leave it in..”…ROSALYN URBANTKE HOELSCHER


"I will be dancing at my first granddaughter's wedding in December! The leg is doing great. Glad to hear all the rest are doing well, too."...BARB SHARPES BROOKS

JERLENE PIEL STEEL has also had good health news for two members of her family in recent months. One has had successful cancer treatment, and the other surgery on his knee. She had requested prayers for them.


In a recent blog post I wrote about WALTER and Diana THOMAS'S son, Gregory, undergoing treatment for a malignant pancreatic tumor. I am so happy to report that he has had successful surgery. Diana forwarded an email that Gregory's wife, Imelda, wrote to all their family and friends. It was a lengthy, heartwarming story of the events leading up to his hospital stay and the surgery. I want to share a small portion of what she wrote about their wait during the surgery:


“..And then I prayed. And then I texted most of you all to help me pray. And then guess what? God heard us all! His (the surgeon’s) assistant came back an hour or so later and said ‘They got it out! All of it!! It just slipped off the artery!!’ A miracle had been granted to us! I couldn’t believe it!! …Greg is in recovery now and will be for six weeks. It’s not been easy for him so far but I know we’ll get through it. The doctors think that this operation may have been curative for him. I witnessed a miracle!! I live with one!”…Imelda Thomas


I know all of you have been concerned about IRENE PIEL BATTS. I have good news to report. Not only is she feeling much better -- no longer feeling the side effects of the chemotherapy or radiation, but she is now buzzing around her house making plans for Christmas. There is only a small place that hasn't completely healed on her leg from the transplant area. This week, the best news of all -- she had the tracheotomy tube removed and they tested her swallowing of food-like substances. By the time you read this, she may be eating small amounts of food for the first time since her surgery. So far, she has been amazing in her ability to cope with all of this, and seems to be healing at a rapid pace. She will undergo more oral surgery, but it will be nothing like the major ordeal she went through in the last one. Please keep her in your prayers, and of course send thanks for all of the prayers answered thus far.


Well, guys, you know what's coming up next! I wish I could say I am prepared, but I'm afraid this year I am woefully behind on my Christmas preparations. I'm still in the afterglow of a wonderful Thanksgiving with family and friends.


It just keeps getting better and better. Keep the good stuff coming...and enjoy the holiday season we are about to experience!


Peace on earth,

Marilyn






1 comment:

  1. Well, that was just a whole host of very good news concerning our classmates and their families. It's so encouraging to hear such good outcomes from all these health problems. I thank God for each and every one. And I thank you, Marilyn, for your faithful blogging us all with these updates.

    June

    ReplyDelete