Tuesday, February 15, 2011

GOODBYE, SUSAN

I received an email tonight informing me of Susan's passing. She was such an important part of the Class of '57, I knew you would want to know. The following obituary was in the Dallas Morning News today. If any of you would like to share a favorite memory, or give a tribute to Susan, I will be happy to post it here.

Susan (Herring) Stahl, a noted civic leader and prominent champion of children and youth programs, passed away on Feb. 14, 2011 after a prolonged illness with breast cancer. Born on Dec. 9, 1938 in San Angelo, Texas to Sue and Lloyd Herring, Susan grew up in Ballinger, Texas and attended SMU, graduating summa cum laude in 1961. Susan is survived by her husband, Sidney Stahl, his two daughters, Lori Stahl and Cathy (Mrs. Gary) Golden, their children, Sara Stahl, Will Golden and Charlie Golden, and Susan's sisters Lynn (Mrs. Ernie) Crawford of Odessa, and Ellen (Mrs. Stephen) Brown of San Angelo, as well as niece Laura Alexander and nephews Charles Switzer and Chuck Brown.

Susan had a passion for community service and served in leadership roles at a broad number of non-profits during the past three decades. She was president of Texas CASA and immediate past president of Bryan's House. In 1992, Gov. Ann Richards appointed her to chair the board of the newly-created Texas Department of Protective and Regulatory Services, the state agency having jurisdiction over all state-funded children's programs, including Child Protective Services. Her many other activities include serving as president of the Dallas Women's Council and on the board of directors of the Volunteer Center of Dallas and Senior Citizens of Greater Dallas. In addition to receiving SMU's Distinguished Alumni Award, she received special recognition from numerous other groups including the Women's Center of Dallas, the Child Care Group, the Dallas Child Guidance Clinic, the Dallas City Council and the Dallas County Commissioner's Court.

Private graveside services will be followed by a Memorial Service at Temple Emanu El, 8500 Hillcrest Road, Dallas, Texas, 75225, at 3:00 p.m. on Wednesday, Feb. 16, 2011 with Rabbi David Stern officiating. The family will receive condolences at 4 p.m. at Temple's Linz Hall. Pallbearers will be Stephen Brown, David Genecov, Gary Golden, Alan Rosenberg, Elias Stahl and Charles Switzer.

The family wishes to express its heartfelt appreciation to the wonderful people at UT Southwestern Medical Center, especially Dr. Dawn Klemow for her incredible care and devotion, and loving nurses Mary Anna Rilat and Wendy Stenzel, for their love and support. The family is also grateful for the exceptional care given at home by Debra Morrow, Eliana Wilson and Anna Willyard. In lieu of flowers, memorials may be made to Bryan's House, 5940 Forest Park Road, Dallas, Texas, 75235, or the charity of your choice.
********************************************************

I will never forget the last time I saw Susan at my home in Ballinger. She and James Hays delighted several of us with stories of their childhood... James lived in the little house I lived in and Susan lived across the street. She was such a sweet, classy lady. She will be missed. 

Love,
Marilyn

7 comments:

  1. Seeing Susan at the Class of 57's high school reunion made the fifty years disappear as if they were merely a few minutes. Sharing time with her and Sid at Marilyn's house a few months later was such a joy. My life was happier because I knew her. Many others had similar wonderful experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Marilyn, I feel such sadness at Susan's passing. Of all those friends that I spent so many Friday night slumber parties with, I always felt that Susan was the one with the purest of hearts. She was one of my bridesmaids also, but I completely lost touch with her in the years following. Heaven is richer today. Thanks for the beautiful memorial article on the blog. You always do it so well.
    I love you, June

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan's sister Ellen wrote the following when informing a friend of Susan's death:
    +
    "Subject: Susan's ordeal is over

    Susan's earth journey ended this morning (Monday). A celebration of her life is scheduled for 3 p.m. Wednesday at Temple Emanu-El, 8500 Hillcrest Rd., in Dallas. For those who want to know, Susan's husband is Sid Stahl, 12119 Elysian, Dallas, TX., 75230. Her obituary will be in Dallas Morning News on Tuesday. It will reflect a life well-lived...one of meaningful service to her community and to people in need--especially children. Stephen and I leave Tuesday to go to Dallas. We are sad for Sid, ourselves and sister Lynn Crawford...and thankful to God that she is forever cancer-free. She was a hard act to follow...both in terms of her academic achievements and her community service, but I loved the challenge...it made me a far better person than I might have been." ellen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good grief!
    I can hardly believe it!
    Denny

    ReplyDelete
  5. Peggy Branham KrumlindeFebruary 16, 2011 at 4:26 PM

    "This makes me so very sad. Susan and I were so very close from the 1st grade through our Junior year when my family moved to Vernon; she was a bridesmaid at my wedding in November, 1957. June's comments about Susan always being there and her sweet spirit says it all."

    Peg:
    When Susan was visiting, I mentioned that June and Dorothy (Bishop)both said she had been their bridesmaid. She laughed and said she was in so many weddings she felt like she lived the movie,
    "27 Dresses"! She was such a delightful guest, just as she was as a teenager!

    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  6. I appreciate your informing me of Sue's passing. I can only say that I am saddened upon hearing.
    One memory of Susan, Sue. We were in speech class and had a debate team, she was the moderator, and I do not remember what the debate was about. I was the first one that she called upon. I replied that I had no opinion at all about whatever it was. Well, I can just hear the teacher yell at me today.
    Sue was the one that I looked up to. She was smart, a leader, (and I thought beautiful.)

    Yes, goodbye Sue. May you rest in peace.

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the update. I'm so sorry to hear of Susan's passing. I remember her so well as a wonderful and truly great friend. She helped me many times with my struggles through English class. I know she will be missed by her family and friends for she was one of the outstanding ones in our class of '57. I pray that God will comfort her family at this time.
    Neil

    ReplyDelete