Tuesday, April 22, 2008

HAPPY EARTH DAY AND BIRTHDAY

"Love all God's creation, the whole and every grain of sand in it. Love every leaf, every ray of God's light. Love the animals, love the plants, love everything. If you love everything, you will perceive the divine mystery in things. Once you perceive it, you will begin to comprehend it better every day. And you will come at last to love the whole world with an all-embracing love." (Feodor Dostoyevsky)


Earth Day! We've been celebrating this for over thirty years now. Sad that no more has been done to protect this beautiful planet. This year promises to raise the awareness of more and more of us.

I like to think I can simplify my life more than I have, and therefore not contribute to the ongoing "conspicuous consumption" that has threatened to overwhelm our world. I recently bought (they aren't giving them away yet!) recycled bags made from 2-liter soft drink bottles. I was proud to answer "Neither", when asked "paper or plastic?" Now if I can only remember to take them with me when I shop for groceries or other "necessary" items! I'm getting better at it. I only wish I didn't still own my gas-guzzling Jeep. As it is paid for, I don't foresee selling it for enough to buy a more efficient auto in the near future. On my agenda, though!



Now for the birthday. The shy little blond on the left is none other than Irene Piel (Batts), along with her best buds in high school, yours truly and Nancy Thompson (Baker). And of course, today is her birthday. Happy Birthday, Irene! This photo was probably taken shortly after her "sweet 16" birthday.

Good news! James Hays is now home from the hospital. He got home Sunday night. Says he is a little tired, but after this kind of surgery, that's to be expected. Get well soon, James. We need you to officiate!
The young man in the tuxedo, second from left is none other than my grandson, Cameron Young, on the set of Cole Porter's "Anything Goes" this past Sunday in Dallas. The show was absolutely professional. It was difficult at times to realize these were high school students! Of course, they aren't just any high school students. Booker T. Washington Performing Arts High School is nicknamed "Grammy High", because so many of their graduates go on to win Grammies in the musical industry. Norah Jones is perhaps one of the most recognizable. The high school recently underwent a $40 million dollar renovation, making it a state-of-the-art school. Too bad Cameron is graduating this year and won't get to take advantage of it. However, LSU will more than make up for it as he launches his college opera training.

By the way, we (his family and friends in attendance) thought Cameron was the star of the show! His English accent, gray hair, and perfect comedic timing were delightful. He also had a duet with the female lead that showcased that beautiful bass singing voice of his. And not only did he do all of that to perfection, he also did a tap dance with the sailor chorus that was pretty remarkable considering those size 12 feet! Way to go, Cameron!! Congratulations on a job well done.







Yesterday, we had the most delightful visit from Peggy Branham (Krumlinde) on the far left below, who was in town for a family reunion at the June Harris (Koch) home at Bethel. We started with a great lunch at the Main Street Sandwich Shop, to which Peggy insisted on treating us. Those in attendance were Peggy, June, Doris Stokes (White), Nancy Thompson (Baker), yours truly, and the one brave man to join us, Glenn Smith.


From there we came to my house for cake, coffee, and lemonade. Peggy kept us enthralled with tales of her life since Ballinger. We all laughed so hard and so much, Nancy said she wished she had a tape recorder in order to remember it all! Peggy's escapade in high school in Vernon, as she worked in a hospital lab, passing out from cleaning stainless steel counters with ether; being the only licensed female shrimp boat Captain in the state of Texas; and her years of living in the snowladen mountains of Colorado, snowshoeing home with her gun to fight off the coyotes interested in her bags of groceries, as well as the encounters with bears -- as many as five at one time encircling a chokeberry bush... Well, need I say more? Peggy, I really think you should write a book of your life adventures. It was such fun to have her here. Next time she comes for a visit, I'll bet more will show up. In fact, maybe we'll just throw a big party!
Well, everyone, I know this was a long one, but I hope you enjoyed some of it. Most important, I hope some of you feel the passion I feel for our beautiful world, Gaia. She is indeed our Mother Earth, a living, breathing entity. We are charged with the responsibility of nurturing and protecting her, as she has provided for us.

Until next time, make some "good stuff happen"!

Marilyn


(Photo by my son, Matthew Rider)


2 comments:

  1. Thanks to Peggy for lunch and for telling so many funny and powerful stories about her life.

    Marilyn, hope you talk her into writing some of her stories for the blog. Many people in the class have meaningful life events to describe--none more so than Peggy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marilyn,

    Great story on Peggy's visit and your luncheon fun together. Made me wish I had been there with you.

    Concerning Earth Day, I am also doing the "Brown to Earth" bags for my groceries or other purchases, and trying to get rid of the plastic bag habit altogether. My son, Chris, and I have been recycling for years, but are making renewed efforts in that direction since our move here to Edmond. The city here makes it very easy to do, but it's disheartening to see so few recycle containers on the from lawns on our block. But it really does have to start somewhere, and I plan to try really hard this year to get my consumption level way down.

    Thanks for the Blog Update. As always it was informative and inspiring.

    June

    ReplyDelete