Wednesday, August 27, 2008

THIS AND THAT

NOLAN AND ROSALYN (URBANTKE) HOELSCHER
50 Wonderful Years!

Recently ROSALYN and Nolan (BHS Class of '54) celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary with a huge party in San Antonio. ROSALYN told me to tell everyone "we had a large party that was 'my dream party' (lots of family & friends). We served 106 dinners, had LOTS of beer, and had very good music to dance to. We really enjoyed our party." ROSALYN sent several photographs of what I believe to be her beautiful family, and ROSALYN appears as radiant as a new bride in each photo. Congratulations to you both, ROSALYN and Nolan. It sounds like the party was a great way to celebrate the next 50 years!

No one recognized this house as their home during high school. This one is on Fifth Street. I'm not sure this is the best little game to play with our aging memories. Not to mention that things certainly do change after 50 years ~ trees get huge or are cut down (kinda like us!). People remodel or paint the houses. Many may not look anything at all like they did when you lived there.

I got the address wrong on the house that SHEILA GREGORY DANKWORTH lived in. It was 400 Largent, not 401. I ran into SHEILA at the hospital a couple of weeks ago when she visited IRENE PIEL BATTS. I teased her about not recognizing it, but then it certainly wasn't painted green when she lived there! As it turns out, SHEILA said she had not been able to open the blog at all. I assured her she would like some of the stories her former classmates have sent in. She promised to try again to open the site. (Has anyone else had difficulty accessing the blog?)

I took the picture at right along Elm Creek at Ballinger City Park. The bank on this side was mostly rock, but this beautiful blooming shrub caught my eye. I'm not sure what the shrub is or whether it is wild or was planted there by City employees, but it made for a pretty summertime image. To the right of this, overlooking the park and swimming pool is a small area for RVs, complete with picnic tables and barbecue grills. Kinda makes you want to jump right in and take a swim, doesn't it? Sadly, the camera caught only the beauty and not the real murkiness of the water. I sometimes wonder if there are any waterways left in this part of Texas that run clean and clear.

I love this picture of IRENE PIEL BATTS taken at the Class Reunion. She is always such fun to tell a story to! I am happy to say, she has not lost that wonderful spirit, and is so full of optimism. She is at home now, with Home Health nurses and a physical therapist coming frequently to assist with her care. That remarkable daughter of hers and David's, Amy, is ~ as the old folks used to say, "putting stars in her crown" with her devotion and attention to the needs of IRENE as well as David, who has been fighting a health challenge of his own. IRENE will start radiation therapy soon.

Even though IRENE's at home, she is mostly in bed. It would be extremely hard to receive visitors at this time. However, she has no problem getting to her computer now, so if you'd like to send her encouragement via email, please do. And don't forget the prayers!

***************************************************************************
JIM COWLISHAW submitted the following for our "Strange Happenings":

"Our first son was born in a small hospital in Hobart, Oklahoma. The recovery room for the newborns was a room not much bigger than an average closet, with a window so that the proud father could view his child. As I was viewing my son, a man came up and said to me, 'Your son?' To which I replied, 'Yes'. He said, 'Do you think that he will give you as much trouble as you gave your dad?'

I turned; no one was there! I have always believed that I had a brush with an angel. And I am glad that I was able to tell my father THANKS while he was still alive.

Never know, do we?" ~ JIM

This is a reminder, JIM, that you promised to take some pictures on your recent trip to Denver and forward them to me for all of us to share in your vacation! I don't know for certain how long you were going to be there, but maybe you caught a few images of some of the politicians there for the DNC?
*********************************************************************************

I cannot resist putting in this picture of CHARLES FIKES and his adorable little granddaughter Kaitlyn. Kaitlyn's the one who prayed the precious prayer for God to fix her grandmother's CD player. Who could deny this little charmer any request? CHARLES wasn't able to make the class reunion, but I have to say, CHARLES, you do not seem to have aged a bit since I saw you at the 2000 All School Reunion.

I called JERRY DAVIS a few days ago to get a progress report. BILL KING told me that the series of radiation treatments was finished. As I did not reach JERRY, I can only assume that he is well into recovery! When we finally do talk, I will give you an update.

Until next time, keep an eye out for the "good stuff" that happens all around you! And tell us about it!!

Marilyn





JERRY DAVIS

2 comments:

  1. Enjoyed the new stories so much about Rosalyn's reunion and Jimmy's brush with an angel.

    Regarding the green house in the picture on 5th street, I honestly thought it was the old Branham house that Peg lived in, or, my second guess would have been the old Davis house, lived in by Tish Davis. With the new paint it's hard to tell, but it really does look like one of those two homes.

    Thanks again, Marilyn.

    June

    ReplyDelete
  2. The little green house (last displayed on the July 31st blog) was the home of Sheila Gregory Dankworth.

    The house in the current blog is at 805 5th Street. You have a correct name, just the wrong house! This one is where Peg Branham lived!

    Something jogged that memory! It's hard to believe over 50 years have gone by since high school!

    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete