Wednesday, February 16, 2011

A CLASSMATE REMEMBERS SUSAN

Susan Herring Stahl

by June Hash Curry

I just learned of the passing of a high school friend of mine named Susan Herring Stahl. She has been on my daily prayer list ever since I learned of her breast cancer many months ago. These are some of my memories of Susan.

We were in the same Class of 1957 at Ballinger High School and had been friends throughout our high school years. We were fortunate enough to enjoy many Friday night slumber parties with between ten to twelve girls at the different homes of our long suffering parents throughout our junior and senior years. I always thought that of us all Susan was the one totally pure at heart. She always seemed to take the high road when any issue or shocking event occurred, with a maturity that surpassed our age group. Anything ever confided to her would never be disclosed for any reason. She just had that kind of integrity. She was a cheerleader all four years of high school, and the head cheerleader during our senior year. She always excelled at everything in which she was involved and was valedictorian at graduation. Yet she always managed to blend in with any group where she was. There was a stillness about her--a quiet spirit that one always sensed. She worked at seeing both sides of any argument or issue without becoming critical in the process. I believe the word that describes her best is grace--total grace. I was always a little in awe of her.

Susan was a bridesmaid in my wedding in 1957, and I remember her coming to the church early that night and actually being the one who helped me to dress for my wedding. I sadly lost touch with her after that, as I did with all my high school friends after Grady and I moved to Midland and our babies starting coming so quickly. She left for college, and we never got together again. But I never forgot Susan or her sweetness or her quiet, loving spirit.

I know her family must feel a tremendous void with her passing, but I also know that Heaven is richer in every way due to her arrival.
********************************
A lovely tribute, June.  By the way, to all of you reading this, June has a new blog of her own:
My Mind and Its Musings..          http://mymindanditsmusings.blogspot.com/
I think you'll enjoy her "musings".

Peace and love,
Marilyn


No comments:

Post a Comment