Tuesday, May 26, 2015

WHEN IT RAINED, IT POURED

Blanco River Overflowing at Wimberley
(Corpus Christi Caller-Times)
Anyone with power and a television set has seen what the storms in Texas were doing the past couple of days. After three weeks of rain, breaking all records for rainfall in Austin in May since 1895, blessedly putting an end to drought for many, the ground has been so saturated that flooding was and is inevitable.

Living in the Austin area, having family and friends all over Texas and Oklahoma, I stayed glued to the television news. I contacted as many as I was able to see if everyone was all right. For 24 hours, I did not hear from NEIL BROUSSARD. As you all know, he and his wife now live in Wimberley. Hundreds of homes there were destroyed by the flooding Blanco River, and many more were evacuated. This morning I received the following email and photo, which I assume is NEIL'S front yard.

"We made it through with flying colors. We lost all means of communication, but are now back. We had 7" in three days. We are not close to river and are on a hill, so are high and dry. Thanks for the concerns, but couldn't respond."
Wimberley, Texas
MARTHA NORTHINGTON and I had made plans to have lunch here at my place near Mansfield Dam this Thursday. As the rains continued, and more are predicted, MARTHA emailed me this morning..

"I think maybe we should postpone lunch this Thursday. Rains are predicted to continue, and I'm not sure I want to try low water crossings this week. Lamar Blvd., which I use almost daily was a river yesterday, and my former apartment in downtown on Shoal Creek I'm certain took on water in first floor where I lived. Very glad to be on high ground now. I hope you are far enough from flood waters not to have had a problem.

We'll get together soon, but it seems the better part of wisdom for this old dame to stay home until this thing passes. Let me know if you're okay."
Water Rescue at Lamar Blvd. and Shoal Creek
(NBC News)
I sent her a photo, and she replied "..the rescue on Lamar was just down the hill from me. Amazing pictures. I’m glad you’re okay, MARILYN, and I hope you won’t have to stay in your closet again soon. Although that might be an interesting psychological experiment.  I think I would have to clear out my closet a bit, or sleep standing up." She later wrote.. "I went downtown and checked to see if my old apartment flooded. Shoal Creek rising water missed it by a hair." 
My usual work station.
I guess I must explain the "closet" bit. As neighbors and I were listening to and watching the weather forecasts the past two nights, and because we three women each live alone and may be just a teeny bit scaredy cats, we had debated over the safest spot in our cottages in case of tornadoes. These flimsy wooden structures are on high pier and beam foundations.. the backs being nearly two stories high. We do have an interior hall closet that meets all the qualifications emergency officials tell us to look for. Night before last, there were so many rotations and occasional touchdowns of tornadoes in our general area, that we made preparations to retreat if necessary. Turning the TV up loud so we could hear, when the forecaster said "get to your safe location now!", we three retreated to our respective closets, purses and cell phones in hand.
My "safe haven" -  Note stool.
Thank goodness, the warning only lasted less than 16-minutes. We repeated this operation last night as well, only for not such a long period. We have a little reason to be fearful. Although we love living here, not much more than a country block from Lake Austin (the Colorado River), we do get a little stressed over such massive amounts of rain. You see, the only road into our little neighborhood has a low water crossing. Last September, a Sheriff's Deputy was checking it out and she was washed down this usually dry creek bed into the lake, where she drowned. They renamed a portion of our road after her.

I wrote about this on my personal blog here: Tragedy Along With The Good.  There are plans for a permanent memorial at this crossing. Just last week a water marker was installed. Below is how the crossing looked yesterday. Needless to say they had a barricade on the hill above it, which was finally removed this morning. They are forecasting more
Fritz Hughes Park Road Low Water Crossing
thunderstorms (I hate the sound of those on these metal roofs!) again tonight and eight out of the next ten days. The water-logged ground in these parts of Texas cannot take any more rain without more flooding. Pray for those who live in the areas that were hardest hit. (And give thanks for those friends and loved ones who survived.) They will be receiving FEMA disaster assistance, but the Red Cross has been asking for volunteers to help them.

When I asked JUNE HASH CURRY how they fared in the storms over the holiday around OKC, she sent the following photo: "After this weekend, we are about ready..."


Funny, I touched base with my son Craig in Dallas, and when I asked him the same he told me, "I'm looking for the Ark." He sent this photo of the Trinity River in Dallas.
(Dallas Morning News)
All is not bad news, though. The rains have surely helped the drought in Texas, and it definitely has helped our area lakes. Lake Travis, where the City of Austin gets its water, is 23-feet above where it was just seven days ago -- a rise of nearly 27-feet this month so far. It is currently at 655-feet, which is the highest it's been since May 2011. It is still 24 and a half feet below its normal level. I figure we will have to have a whole lot more rain like recently before they have to open the flood gates of Mansfield Dam. (That's a relief!)

I forgot to mention that I have been known to be a little claustrophobic. I'm hoping we don't get more tornado warnings that send me back to my closet! Just in case, maybe I'd better clear out some of my "stuff". Not really "a very interesting psychological experiment." Besides, it's "good stuff"!

Everyone send me any of your stories and/or photos of how the recent weather has affected you wherever you are. Stay dry, and if you pray for rain, please use
the Goldilocks Principle: "Not too much, not too little, but just right, God!"

Peace,
Marilyn

11 comments:

  1. I was worried about you! Glad you're ok.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the very well done flood update. I happened to be in Goldthwaite yesterday and was soaked by a heavy downpour. Lasted to Zephyr. From there to Ballinger, not a drop. Tonight made up for that, however, with an hour-and-a-half deluge. From my back patio I can now hear water gushing over the Elm Creek dam in the park.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy to hear you made it home safely. Why not some photos of the Elm Creek Dam? I remember seeing the City Park flood when I lived in Ballinger. NANCY has said that most of the recent rains have been missing Ballinger. I guess that's over, huh? Thanks for the comment, GLENN.

      Delete
  3. Good blog. It's storming here again tonight. Heavy rain and lots of wind and lightning. Sheesh.
    The radar shows that after these pass through, we have more heading our way from Ft Worth. Just hope we don't lose power!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm "bubbling it up" in prayer! Fewer storms and more power!
      Love,
      Mom

      Delete
  4. Rowena got pounded with rain and hail last night. We got .8" and I thought I heard 2 hailstones hit..... Water possibly going over our park dam...it has been lately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NANCY followed this up with a note stating that Mike and VIRGINIA EGAN got 3.5" of rain in last night's storm.

      Delete
  5. It's flooding all around the OKC area and all over Oklahoma period. Here in Edmond where I live we have been so blessed to get rain without flooding, hail or by being hit by the many tornadoes dancing around. They are predicting another week of the same. I feel so badly for people all around who have lost their homes and some even their loved ones. I definitely love your Goldilock prayers, Marilyn, and will be asking for the same.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dottie Bishop RogersMay 29, 2015 at 3:31 PM

    No rain in Arizona yet. Our monsoon season begins in July. All we are getting are the March winds that are two months tardy. Take care and be safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember those "monsoons"! The sun could be shining brightly, then suddenly rain would come out of nowhere in a downpour. Just as suddenly it would stop. One had to watch out for flooding in the arroyos though. Flash floods could be deadly there as well as here in Texas.

      Delete