Sunday, June 10, 2018

THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES

I had to nearly twist his arm, but I finally got TRUMAN CONNER to relate some of his memories through the years. Having lived in California for over 35-years working for Levi Strauss, he traveled a lot and played golf at most of the major golf courses in the U.S. He listed them in the blog post Earthquakes, Golf Courses, and More. California, of course, has other attractions like movie stars and such. 

Here are "a few memorable encounters" in TRUMAN'S own words:

Image result for Joe DiMaggio public domain pictures I spent a few minutes talking with Joe DiMaggio on Thanksgiving Day afternoon in 1977 when I was hitting golf balls at my private club where he was a member also.  He had been standing behind me watching me hit balls, and I was unaware of his presence until I turned around and saw him.  I walked over to him and talked with him for a few minutes. He was a very nice person. I was flattered that he thought enough of my golf game to watch me practice. (We all remember Joe - you know, Marilyn Monroe's husband!)

Ann-Margaret was filming a movie in 1964 in San Francisco at Fisherman's Wharf, and I was a bystander watching a film scene when the cast took a break from acting. Ann-Margaret sent a woman over to me to ask if I would like to have coffee with them. I was shocked, tongue-tied, and was too nervous to say yes. Something I have always regretted. (You could at least have got her autograph!)

Back in 1973, a very good friend of mine had a 1st cousin married to the champion golfer, Ken Venturi. My friend invited me to go to Palm Springs over Labor Day weekend to stay with them as guests.  I declined because I thought it was too long of a drive for a weekend.  My friend returned telling me that Frank Sinatra had taken the three of them out to dinner on Saturday night (Sinatra and Venturi were very close friends) and I would have been included as a guest of Frank Sinatra at a dinner.  What an opportunity missed. (You also missed out on a gold cigarette lighter. He was noted for giving them to friends and friends of friends. Oh, right! You weren't a smoker!)

In 1984, I met Roy Rogers at a business conference in Denver, Colorado where he was the honored guest. He was well up in years, but we did have a nice conversation and I thought he was extremely genuine. (Oh, we remember those Saturday movies with Roy Rogers, Dale Evans, and Trigger!)

In 1960 when I was at TCU, I was invited to play golf at Shady Oaks Country Club with a frat brother, and his friend who was an assistant pro at River Crest Club.  The three of us got to Shady Oaks and went into the golf shop where none other than Ben Hogan was in the shop.  He knew the young assistant pro so there was a short chat of sorts...and then Ben Hogan walked with the three of us out to the first tee to watch us tee off.  Hogan was standing only a few feet from me watching me tee up my golf ball to drive.  I was so nervous I could hardly get the ball teed up, and then proceeded to hit a horrific drive.  Here was one of the most famous golfers in the world watching me hit a drive. (This makes my sons and grandson Travis green with envy!)

I had occasion to once meet Sandy Koufax, baseball pitcher for NY Yankees when we talked after church services.  I once met Willie Shoemaker, the famous jockey after being introduced to him at a restaurant in San Francisco.  Both of these were unexpected occurrences.  And last, but not least, I met Doris Day in the parking lot at Quail Lodge club in Carmel Valley, Calif. where she was also a member.  She was a very friendly, gracious person and still quite attractive. I liked her very much. (LeftAt age 88 I'm sure she's still many guys' Secret Love!)

********************************
You had some fun and interesting people show up in your life from time to time, TRUMAN.  I'll bet many more of you can dust the cobwebs off your own memories and share some equally interesting ones with us. After all, some of us may not have such a good memory for many more years! Let me hear from you!

'Til next time..
Peace and love,
Marilyn

1 comment:

  1. Fantastic remembrances, Truman. Thanks so much for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete