Saturday, March 14, 2020

IN YOUR OWN WORDS

From PATI PRITCHARD, Red Oak, TX:
"Hello! Nothing different. Went to Big Bend last week and had fantastic time. Home now and amazed at the toilet paper craze. Don’t get that 'fea'. If you were exposed, diarrhea isn’t part of the process.  We already had hand soap in the house so really just sitting back and watching. Finally retired after 80th birthday and daughter and I are learning to quilt. I have enough projects to occupy me for a looong time. Hope all out there are doing well."

I know we all remember Johnny Carson. Do any of you remember this from his show in 1973? The Great Toilet Paper Scare of 1973


From JUNE CURRY, Edmond, OK: 
"We have bought a few extra supplies at the grocery store. At the requests of all four of my children I am now staying home for the near future. I repeatedly have said I am not afraid of my mortality from this virus, but neither do I want to kill someone else by getting and passing it on. So for now I am doing as they have asked and sheltering at home. Martha (daughter) with her severe asthma is doing the same. (Son) Chris is diabetic but practices constant washing of hands and disinfecting surfaces at his work. (Son) Scott is being proactive as well in his job and at home. I know that our future is totally in God’s hands, but we are expected to do what the authorities have asked of us in order to try slowing this monster down."

Just last week I got this good news from JUNE: "My implant is working so beautifully that I joined my church choir last week and was able to stand and sing with them last Sunday. This is so wonderful to be able to participate again. I have about three more weeks to completely heal from the surgery with the wires being cemented into place through scar tissue forming. But I am already getting such pain relief that it is actually a joy to get up in the morning. I thank God every day for this device and the relief from pain it brings."

As you may know, JUNE has suffered for years with back pain -- she has had several surgeries trying to alleviate it. She was prevented from attending our 50th Class Reunion due to a surgery. Our medical technology is wonderful and her recent surgery of a new type of implant was an answer to her prayers. I'm sure the current virus outbreak is even more of an imposition on her as she can now navigate with no pain. JUNE, hopefully the same technology will come up with something that will shorten our isolation!

From TRUMAN CONNER, San Antonio, TX: 
"I asked an HEB supervisor two days ago about the raid on toilet paper, and he had no idea. Told me warehouses were full so I googled it. Herd mentality in US deemed caused by shortage in Singapore, Hong Kong, and South Korea furthered by media frenzy. Just got home from HEB, and all the beef inventory was gone from refrigerated bins. Checker told me HEB closed a store today on the Southside because the store was being raided by customers. Ignorance and survivor mentality is in full bloom. Social media is proving to be the bane of the world. All of this is so unnecessary. Could cyber terrorism play a part? I mean, really, We have so many enemies in other parts of the world who would, maybe could, sow discord and chaos to the USA."

From NANCY BAKER, Ballinger, TX:
"Our grocery store was out of toilet paper this morning. I bought two packs yesterday. One guy was buying 5-packs of water."


From NEIL BROUSSARD, San Marcos, TX:
"Seemed to be shutting down most everything here in San Marcos and Wimberley. Went to H-E-B a couple days ago and didn’t see any shortages. Volunteer at library and Lions...both shut down until further notice. Neighbor is a teacher and she was told not to stay at home."

DENNY HILL, Port Jefferson, NY, planned to be in Warsaw for the summer, as he usually is. Today he wrote the following: 
"In Poland everything is closed except for food stores and pharmacies, e.g., restraurants, bars, clubs, cafes, etc. - areas all closed. This is for 10-days, but might be extended. The border has been closed since Friday (13th).

"The (COVID-19) outbreak is still small, but they are not stupid, and can calculate what is going to occur.

"My Polish friend Pawel says it is too late there; that they should have done it 3-weeks ago, then there might have been a chance."

We should have done it weeks ago, too, Denny! Sorry you have to sit at home like the rest of us.

Since my last post, I ordered groceries online for my son Craig to pick up Friday night. He stayed a good ten feet away from me after bringing the sacks in, and wouldn't stay more than a few minutes. I was surprised to see that HEB could only fill one-half of my order. They were out of stock on the rest.

Today, my daughter Carajean picked up some of those missing items at another store and brought them to place on my front porch. She had a can of Lysol and sprayed the packages, then spoke to me from the front yard. Oh yes, she brought me two rolls of toilet paper from her home.

Dear God -- is this what life will be like for weeks or months to come??

Peace (and don't touch your face!)
Marilyn

2 comments:

  1. It seems to be our new reality, but so far ours is no comparison to the people suffering on both coasts and in the other countries overwhelmed already. And by the way we also acquired extra TP.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to mention Kevin and Michael, my two sons who live in Mexico, they are undoubtedly the safest of us all. Mexico has very few cases, wouldn’t, it be hilarious if Mexico started building that wall higher to keep us out of their country.

    ReplyDelete