Saturday, October 18, 2008

FROM MY JOURNAL AND MY SCRAPBOOK

It's fall, the changing season. We still can see many of the beautiful flowers from spring and summer; and most of the leaves are still on the trees. The cool -- and often cold -- nights are a welcome relief from the long, hot summer nights. There is such a big difference sleeping when it's cool outdoors than with the coolness of air conditioning, don't you think? There is a crispness about nature now that hints of the coming winter. Of course, I am speaking of the days and nights here in Ballinger. Some of you are still experiencing summer weather, and some of you in the northern parts of the country may even be feeling as though winter has arrived. I love this, my favorite time of year! As a young girl, the end of summer meant the start of school, parties to attend, new friends, football games. Now September and October bring new TV shows! No more reruns. Well at least not for awhile.

I keep a journal off and on in order to "unblock" my creativity. Recently, I wrote the following: "The ugliness outside this little rent house -- the weeds and overgrown yard, the peeling paint, the broken swing... Is it a metaphor for my aging? The outside deteriorating... the body becoming undesirable? The inside is still colorful, warm, comfortable, and inviting. Isn't it that way with most people? If we can get past the not-so-young or -pretty exteriors, and allow ourselves to enter -- to seek out the warmth and beauty within, how much richer our lives can still be. The body may be aging and wrinkled, and it may be broken somewhat, but the heart is still pumping away. Life 'til the very end has some rewards for everyone if we open ourselves up and look for openings to know others."

I love coming into my little house. It is filled with mementos, photographs, gifts, and art work from friends and family. Nearly every item has a story behind it. And lots of loving memories. Even if it means clutter to some folks, I always make room for more -- especially from loved ones. And that creates a home full of loving energy that welcomes all.

I recently ran across some pictures taken in Midland in 1965. I think this one of Diana (BHS '64) and WALTER THOMAS is particularly good. I forwarded it and one of their first son, Gregory, to Diana. I was sad when she wrote back that Greg has just finished chemo and radiation treatments and is to undergo surgery (called the Whipple procedure) for cancerous cysts on his pancreas. I know you will all want to join me in sending our love and prayers for his complete recovery.







Gregory Thomas's first Easter 1965.
(Left) Mr. and Mrs. Greg Thomas, Spring 2008. (Below)











MEDICAL UPDATES:
IRENE PIEL BATTS will undergo another "marathon" chemotherapy treatment this coming Monday. Please hold her in your thoughts and pray that this treatment will not be as rough on her as the last one was.

Last weekend I received the following email from JAMES HAYS:
"Kay had a total hip replacement yesterday and is doing well. She has been crippling around for the last year like an old mare with a half-thrown shoe. The good news is that she is determined to not go back to smoking cigarettes when she leaves the hospital. She is able to get out of bed with minimal assistance tonite (October10th) and walk with a walker. Hopefully she will be able to go home by Monday.


I'm going to take a stress test next Friday in preparation to try to get my flight physical back. Did 18 pushups and 25 situps and walked one and a half miles today."

I asked how he did on the stress test, but I haven't heard back from him. Good luck, JAMES. Let us know how both you and Kay are doing.

All of you who personally know JERRY DAVIS, love him for his great sense of humor. Anytime I have called him to cheer him up, he has ended up cheering me up! Well, not today folks. I am so sorry to announce that JERRY received the worst news he could receive in the hospital this week. That dreadful cancer just refused to be beat this time around. He is at home now with Hospice care and surrounded by his loving family. He was very weak when I spoke to him this morning, but he had the strength to tell me to tell everyone of you that "I love those '57 Bearcats!" I told him we love him, too, and will be praying for him. Even if you cannot speak to him, you may wish to send him your love via email or a card. Please pray for Carolyn and his family as well during this difficult time for all of them.

JUNE HASH CURRY reports great success with the physical therapy she has been receiving. It has relieved her pain so much that surgery on her spine will not be necessary. Hallelujah!

I'm thinking of all of you, and hoping there is still a lot of "good stuff" going on in your life. Let me know.

Until next time,
Marilyn

3 comments:

  1. Thank you, Marilyn, for the updates on these classmates and their families. As always, you make it possible for us to know just where our prayers are needed.

    June

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paul Mota sent the following:

    I very much enjoyed reading the first part of your story. I too have a small house and it made me think "hey, I am not doing that bad". We live here and have great stuff which we enjoy as you do in your home.

    That was some very sad news that came along in this one. Recently we had some bumps on the road of life but nothing compared to what others are going through.

    I will try to Email Jerry Davis but if for some reason I don't, please tell him I said hello and am praying for him.

    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Marilyn,

    What you wrote about your ugly house on the outside and the beauty of the inside is heart warming.

    Thanks,
    Nydah

    ReplyDelete