Wednesday, October 22, 2008

MORE HITCHHIKING ADVENTURES


Ter Cothran sent the following: “Your blog on hitchhiking was most interesting and brought up an old memory.

It was the summer of 1955 and I was at the Hillcrest Drive-In watching a movie called Lullaby of Broadway, with James Cagney and Doris Day. I went to the snack bar during intermission and started talking to Jimmie Robbins. We somehow got on the subject of seeing the state of Colorado. Before I knew how it happened we were making plans to go THAT NIGHT. At the time I had a 1951 Henry J that was not in the best shape. Jimmie didn't have a car so it was decided that we would set out in my Henry J as soon as we could get home and get some clothes packed. We didn't tell our parents we were going and left about midnight on our journey to see Colorado.

About half way to Winters, my Henry J gave up and the engine blew. We pulled into an old abandoned gas station and left the Henry J behind in the weeds. (I never did go back for it and to my knowledge it could still be there).
We started walking and there was no traffic on the highway at all that night. We walked all the way to Winters and about sunup we were hitchhiking somewhere on the north side of Winters when we caught a ride. When we reached Abilene we caught another ride and continued on going west to Sweetwater and then on to Lubbock. I can't recall exactly how many different rides we picked up before we arrived in Santa Fe. In Santa Fe we caught a ride with a gentleman in a black '54 Chevrolet pickup. He took us all the way to Durango, Colorado and even bought our meals on the way.

Outside Durango we were walking again and had our thumbs out to catch another ride when we were stopped by the Colorado Highway Patrol. Unknown to us, it was illegal to hitchhike in the state of Colorado. When the patrolman found out we were only 16 years old he took us to the station and got on the phone to our parents. He asked my dad what he wanted them to do with us and my dad, being my dad, said, "I guess you had better turn them loose so they can get home ‘cause I'm sure as hell not coming up there after them". Jimmie's mom had a flame-out and started crying and came completely unglued and went to my parents house wanting to know what to do about getting us home. My dad said, "They got up there okay on their own, they can get back the same way", and we did.

So, that was the great hitchhiking experience of 1955. Jimmie's mom got over it, but never was too cool on Jimmie hanging out with me after that. We remained good friends until his death, ....... God rest his soul. In 1961 while hitchin' from Fort Carson, Colorado to Los Angeles, I passed over many of the same highways that Jimmie and I had traveled on our adventure, and I smiled.” …TER


Keep the memories coming in to me! Does anyone have any ghost stories to share? It's almost Halloween, you know.

Pay attention to all the "good stuff" happening. And don't forget to VOTE!

'Til next time,
Marilyn

1 comment:

  1. Great story from Terry. If my kids had ever done such a thing I would have died on ths spot. Wow! It's amazing that Terry and Jimmy survived that little jaunt intact, but thank goodness they did.

    June

    ReplyDelete