Friday, January 18, 2008

COURTYARD MEMORY


I wish I had asked someone knowledgeable about the history of Ballinger -- like Jerry Eoff -- when this pretty little courtyard with fountain and gazebo, across the street from the courthouse, was built. He did give me some information about the old advertising sign painted on the adjacent Petroleum Building, which now houses Home Healthcare services. His mother was a staunch advocate of many of the historic buildings around town, including the Carnegie Library and the old German Church located on the corner of 6th and Strong Avenue. It seems that Mrs. Eoff is responsible for saving this wonderful example of early American advertising as well. I remember when farmers made money by allowing such advertisements to be painted on their barns. By the way, you may not be able to tell, but this is for a brand of tobacco.





Jerry also gave me a lot of interesting information about pro and semi-pro baseball teams in Ballinger at one time. Sort of a followup on something brought up by Jim Cowlishaw recently. I will post that in a future issue of the blog. I am running late to head for the airport in San Angelo to catch a flight to Dallas for the weekend.

Rumor has it that Bob and Ann Burton, Ter Cothran, and girlfriend are headed for a cruise to Mexico this weekend. Ann: take some photos for me for the blog!

Ah, yes.... Good stuff happens!

Marilyn


Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. Good Stuff, Marilyn. I wasn't aware of the darling little gazebo being there. How pretty!!

    Have a great weekend in Dallas!

    Love, June

    ReplyDelete