Tuesday, February 12, 2008

FLYING HIGH, FLYING LOW

James Hays is up next with one of his "flying stories". This may not have impressed his friends then, but it is sure to impress his friends now. I know I'M IMPRESSED that he survived!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I started flying in earnest January 31, 1955 with my first lesson without parents’ knowledge or permission. Legally J. W. Longenette wouldn't solo me without permission until I turned 18. They found out about it in May 1957 before my birthday and it was a tense moment -- like when Bubba shot the juke box in the song. I had to catch up with lessons and finally soloed August 27, so Glenn beat me on that one. However I never got lost, but I have been temporarily disoriented on occasion. Schooling and other priorities kept me grounded until I was at Peter Smith Hospital in Fort Worth. I signed on as a designated examiner of sexual assault victims for Tarrant County for thirty-five bucks a pop. So I finished my pilot’s license on rape money -- much to my instructor’s amusement.

I restored a 1936 Taylor Cub with allegedly a forty horsepower engine in ‘'73 and by May 1974 I was doing hammerhead stalls in it. To enter this maneuver one with sufficient altitude must dive to gain speed, pull up in a vertical climb and when it almost stops climbing, kick hard left rudder, pivoting 180 degrees and now in a vertical dive, pull out when flying speed rapidly returns now going in the opposite direction. At this point, I decided to impress my friends on the ground with my new found skills, so I buzzed the Bangs, Texas aerodrome at about 60 feet with more or less forty horses banging away and pulled up vertically when it began to dawn on me - DUMB!!! Not enough speed, altitude, or smarts. I'm committed so I kicked hard left rudder in the suddenly soggy airplane and it swapped ends and snapped into a spin past vertical at maybe 150 feet high. At this point, rather than accepting an early demise, I kicked opposite rudder and as soon as I felt the controls bite in the air I pulled back on the stick -- using almost all of my precious altitude and went through a small clearing under the treetops. The plane was hidden from the amazed spectators whom I had intended to impress, one of whom, I believe, stood up to find a shovel. Three seconds later I zoomed up over the trees and flew around for a few minutes to get calm enough to land and sheepishly to face my friends. I had less than 300 hours flying time at the time and now have accumulated 2200 hours in 98 different types of aircraft by not being so stupid. At this time in my life I aspire to be an old pilot instead of a bold pilot.

I've had other adventures flying and even injury since then but never faced the grim reaper so close face to face since.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Editor's Note: I had intended to do something really special for Valentine's Day, but as it turns out, I will be traveling to Austin tomorrow morning to be with two of my children and grandchildren this weekend. As some of you know by now, I lost my mother this past Sunday. She had been ill with Alzheimer's, among other things, and in a nursing home for a long time, so this is something of a mixed blessing for our family. We are relieved to see her suffering end. And although we will miss her very much, she would want our lives to go on as usual... and being with my first grandchild this weekend as he performs with the All-State Men's Choir is a very important family event -- one she would have loved to attend. Therefore, I will leave you with a few loving thoughts.

First, if you are fortunate enough to spend Valentine's Day with someone near and dear to you, tell them how fortunate you feel. Scroll down to the music playlist on the left of the blog, click on the big arrow, and take that special someone in your arms while you listen to love songs from the past. If it so moves you, you might dance around the living room a bit. A little candlelight would be nice, too.

From my "Cherokee Feast of Days" book by Joyce Sequiche Hifler:

"..We can be so busy that we miss the little things that sweeten life, the way a pet waits to be noticed, the way an owl, a wahuhi, hoots in the woods, and a bluejay chortles in the middle of winter. It is a lovely thing to turn away from busy work to pay attention to our loved things and loved ones. We know how we wait to be told we are important. We should never wait to say or think something beautiful that will make someone's day easier and more secure."

"We do not want riches. We want peace and love."...Red Cloud 1870

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY EVERYONE! Remember, YOU make the "good stuff" happen!

With love,
Marilyn



1 comment:

  1. Paul Mota sent the following:

    Marilyn,
    That was a wonderful Valentine's day blog.

    Thanks to all for sharing.

    Those words of wisdom about an angel with one wing was very appropriate for this time.
    Paul

    ReplyDelete