Sunday, March 23, 2008

EASTER SUNDAY

Easter came early this year -- only a few days after the first day of spring. Along with the early blooming daffodils and hyacinths and new buds on the trees, it brought a lot of memories to mind. Of frilly dresses, Mary Janes, and pretty little hats and gloves. Of short pants and knees socks, suits and ties and grownup shoes. The jerky home movies of everyone in their Easter finery, and the silent squeals of joy as the children raced each other to find the most Easter eggs. And lots of memories and photographs of Easter baskets, big smiles, and tears of sadness when little ones were made to wait to eat that chocolate bunny until after Sunday services. Of course, the inevitable photos of the happy little chocolate-covered faces when they were finally given the okay to indulge in all those goodies.

I never gave in to buying one of these cute little bunnies for any of the kids, however, I was dismayed one year when a friend of my mother's sent my youngest home from an Easter visit with Grandma toting a baby chicken -- more like an adolescent chicken. Not the cute little fuzzy ones. This one was beginning to get his "real" feathers. (You can see I am not a farm girl!) A single parent at the time, and living in an apartment, I had no place to keep a pet chicken! For several days the chicken took up residence in our only bathtub. This meant a lot of extra work for me at bathtime, as you can imagine. On my way to work one morning, lo and behold, I saw a house on the corner of the street with several small chickens of varying ages in the fenced-in backyard! Some were even dyed different colors. I was so excited. I couldn't wait to get home. I convinced a tearful Matthew that his pet chicken would be so much happier with a yard to play in, and with more little chicks as companions. When that didn't work, I promised we would look for a more suitable pet. This "suitable pet" turned out to be Goldie, the hamster. But that is another story for another time!

I brazenly knocked on the door of the corner house, chick in hand. The poor man looked at my chicken with dismay. It seemed everyone was dropping off their unwanted Easter pets at his house, and he couldn't say "no" to desperate mothers!

This Easter was quiet compared to earlier times. I shared some of the memories by email with my grownup little egg-hunters. Talked to some of my family members. And thought about the meaning of this season. New life is springing up all around us. The Cross on the Hill here in Ballinger reminds me of the opportunity we have each spring to rise above our limitations, and overcome any obstacles we have created in our lives that prevent us from knowing peace, happiness, and fulfillment.

I've heard from many of you with wishes for a Happy Easter. My thanks to you. May your Easter have been blessed with love and good memories as mine was.

After my last blog entry, I received a little news from fellow classmates. This first one is from Paul Mota, who lives with his wife in San Angelo:

"Since you asked, I am providing some information about me and my family. In the immediate weeks, I am looking forward to my daughter visiting us while they have Spring break in the Houston area. She will be bringing our 2 grandchildren Ana Marie (age 3) and Daniel (age 9).

My wife and I celebrated our 44th wedding anniversary on the 6th of March. The most important thing about our lives is that we have been very blessed. Not really in monetary value but in other more important areas.

We were blessed with our only daughter, who was born in Tokyo, Japan. She tries to do a little of everything in life such as running the Houston Marathon, Broadway plays, and you name it, she has tried it. I brainwashed her early in life to be a New York Yankees fan. We try to go to Arlington as often as we can to see the Yankees play.

I am in pretty good health if I could only stop eating all these snacks and stuff at night. I am trying (aren't we all?) to lose some pounds but not seeing much success lately. Otherwise, thanks to God, I am in pretty good health.

During about the last 10 Years or so I got the Las Vegas bug, and we are going there about once or twice a year. We have reservations for June coming up soon. I find it hard to believe that anyone could NOT have a lot of fun there. There is so much to see and do there.

As I stated in another letter, I spent 20 years in the U.S. Air Force and
also 20 years as a Department of Defense civilian at the base here. I retired about 5 years ago and am enjoying it more than my wife is enjoying having me home all the time.

That is about it for now. Have a great Easter to everyone from the class of 57." Paul

The following is from Barbara (Sharpes) Brooks:

"The big news for me is a brand new knee! It's been eighteen days now and I think I will live. I had no idea what I was getting into. If the other one goes I may just have to live with it!" Barb

EDITOR: Peggy (Branham) Krumlinde sent some more beautiful photos from her vacation in Mexico last month. I will post one or two of them on the next blog.

Someone asked me recently, "What are you doing to bring beauty to the world?" Whoa! That one still has me thinking. I started by pulling weeds in my back yard. Does that count? Think about it. What are you doing to bring beauty to the world? Write me and share that with your classmates!

Until next time, keep on making the "good stuff" happen!

Marilyn


No comments:

Post a Comment