Monday, August 4, 2014

IRENE'S DAVID




I'm sure all of you remember this warm, friendly guy who was married to our late, beautiful IRENE PIEL BATTS. My first memories of him were when I was in high school and he was president of the Jaycees (do they still have those?) in Ballinger. I got to know him only after he and IRENE married in the early 60s. I recall how impressed I was when he and IRENE took ballroom dancing together in San Angelo. The Cha Cha was really big then, and I got them to demonstrate it to me in my living room in San Angelo. They were so cool!

Through the years, we stayed in touch as I moved around; we both had children; and I even visited from time to time at their home in Ballinger. David was always such a welcoming host, and the children liked him very much. I got to know David better in the 90s, as he and IRENE and I shared the same political leanings! We cussed and discussed what was going on in politics. I remember David bringing me a copy of a TIME magazine with an article on President Bill Clinton. Always plain-spoken, he was disgusted with Bill at that time and said to me, "If only he could learn to keep it in his pants!" I laughed out loud at that one.

When I moved to Ballinger in 2005, he, IRENE, and their precious daughter Amy (who inherited all the good qualities of her parents and more!) did a lot of painting on the little rent house I moved into. David, even with his beginning macular degeneration, built me a wonderful 7 ft. tall bookcase that I still use. 

The last time I talked to David, his sight was almost completely gone, but he still had an optimistic outlook on life. He said his daughter Amy was his personal angel. She took very good care of him every day after IRENE left us. I'm sure she is devastated by her loss of both parents. Please keep her in your prayers, and if possible, let her know we're thinking of her. Amy, my love to you.

I was hoping to find more information about David's early years, but the following is all I've got so far. It tells nothing about his education (I believe he was an A&M graduate), his military service (I think he was a pilot), or his wonderful, humorous personality. He was always "there" for friends or family -- doing whatever he could to help out. The two pictures below were taken at our 50th Class Reunion. As usual, he's seen working! Amy brought him to the 2012 Class Reunion, as I believe it helped them both feel closer to IRENE to be around folks who knew and loved her.

I will forward any more information I get on David.

*********************

William David Batts, 89, of Ballinger, Texas passed away Saturday, August 2, 2014 at Ballinger
Memorial Hospital.
 (2007 Reunion)

(2007 Reunion)

He is survived by his daughter, Amy Batts of Ballinger; and a sister, Betty Batts Agnew of Austin.







*****************

PAT SMITH MULLINS lost a brother, who was also GLENN SMITH's cousin. Our love and condolences go out to them as well.

Bobby James Smith, 83, of Ballinger, Texas passed away Sunday, August 3, 2014 at Elsie Gayer
Healthcare Center in San Angelo, Texas.

He was born July 17, 1931 in Ballinger to James Lee and Leora (Bowen) Smith. Bobby married Sharon Hampton on November 17, 1956. She preceded him in death January 27, 2013. For a total of 34 years, Bobby worked for the Texas Department of Transportation in San Angelo, Ozona, and Ballinger. He was a member of Ninth Street Church of Christ.

He was preceded in death by his parents and wife; brother, Delbert Smith; and infant twins, Ricky Gale and Vicky Dale Smith; and a great-grandchild, Hank Smith.
He is survived by two sons, Quentin Alan Smith and wife, Teresa, of Burnet, and Gary Lee Smith and wife, Judy, of Austin; a daughter, Rhonda Kay Glover and husband, Chris, of San Angelo; sisters, Margie Hallmark of Ballinger, Jean Stewart of Cedar Hill, PAT MULLINS of Blanket; and a brother, Billy Wooten of Huntsville. Also surviving are nine grandchildren, Blake Smith, Ryan Smith, Nathan Smith, Justin Smith, Rachael Smith, Daniella Smith, Natalie Glover, Garret Glover, and Elijah Samaniego: and four great-grandchildren, Wyatt, Walker, Paiton, and Lorabelle Smith.

Visitation for family and friends will be Tuesday, August 5 from 6:00 to 7:00 pm at Lange Funeral Home. A graveside service will be conducted Wednesday, August 6 at 10:00 am at Old Runnels Cemetery with a memorial service following at 11:00 am at Ninth Street Church of Christ in Ballinger. Max Pratt will officiate.

Memorial donations may be made to Rotary House of Hope or a favorite charity.

**************************
Peace and love,

Marilyn

1 comment:

  1. My prayers are for God's comfort for the families of these two loved ones.

    ReplyDelete