Saturday, March 26, 2016

Last night I received the following email from NANCY BAKER:

"March 8th I found Jake asleep, burning up with fever, and incoherent when I woke him. A friend helped me get him to the car and to the Ballinger Hospital ER. They did tests and then transferred him to San Angelo. We had barely gotten there when he went into shock. We spent a day and a half in the ER, as there were no available beds in ICU.

For 36-hours I had absolutely no sleep. Jake slept maybe 45-minutes total during that time. Where my ability to stay awake that long came from, I cannot explain. It was like someone flipped a light switch, and I could do this. 

They finally found a bed for him in ICU Step-down. The doctors were saying he had a blood infection. X-rays, CAT scan, sonogram, laparoscope -- every exam you can name followed. Heart condition complications, breathing problems, gall bladder inflamed. 

I slept in the back seat of my car, on a roll-away bed in his room, one night in a motel, and finally went home two nights in a row.

Dr. JAMES HAYS checked in on us recently, and said Jake looks better. No fever, blood pressure okay, oxygen level 95 and above now.. only heart racing. Today he was pronounced noncontagious. and was moved to another room -- Shannon Room 418 now. We no longer have to gown up when we enter his room. He has yanked out all medical devices he could get his hands on, and is now telling stories you can believe; not hallucinating as badly. He will get strong antibiotics for three more weeks, and may be facing surgery on his gall bladder or pacemaker down the road.

Please, no calls, cards only.

My feet are killing me. Plantar fasciitis before walking 6-million miles in the hospital!" ..NANCY
************************************************
This is an amazing account of what NANCY and Jake have been going through. I asked for prayers for Jake, but now think we should put NANCY on our prayer lists as well. She is holding up remarkably well. I think it is more than a light switch that's seeing her through this.

Don't forget that JUNE CURRY is having knee replacement surgery this Monday.

Peace and love,
Marilyn

6 comments:

  1. Last Tuesday, Jake was somewhat confused, but I learned that his real name is Jerry! On yesterday, Friday the 25th, he was only a little confused and, I confess, that I took advantage of the situation, and found out who and how the old tires got on top of the old First National Bank building. I should be ashamed of myself for taking advantage of him. Let the record show that he did not incriminate himself directly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm.. Don't remember the tires story. I seem to remember something about a pig -- or was it a sheep? - being put on top of some building downtown.. Ray Young was an accomplice in that story.

      Delete
  2. I know how hard and complicated things get when you have a spouse in the hospital away from your home town. Been there and done that. Sorry she and Jake are having to go through all of this. Will you let Nancy know that I have plenty of spare space for her to crash either day or night at my house in San Angelo. I sincerely mean that. All she has to do is let me know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such an act of kindness, Bill. I know Nancy will appreciate the offer.

      Delete
  3. Very good news. I will continue to keep them in my prayers and thoughts. If you have a chance, I would hope that you would pass this on to her.
    Thanks for keeping me informed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for keeping us updated.

    ReplyDelete