Saturday, May 31, 2008

ON A LIGHTER NOTE

A TALE TO BE TOED

(Written August 23, 2006)

I recently started a part-time job with the Sheriff’s Office. So far, I have been doing a lot of filing, and acquainting myself with some of the forms and terms used on a daily basis. (What’s your 10-20?; 10-4; etc.)

I was pleased to find out I would soon be helping one of the deputies do an inventory of the main evidence room. We’ll be checking to see if some evidence may be discarded, and then we will obtain the necessary court orders to do so. This will be a nice change of pace from the filing.

The Sheriff called me into his office and gave me a list of the items that are located in the evidence room. I glanced at the list and was surprised to see the item “fingers” on the second page! Thinking this was some kind of code name, I laughed and asked what it meant. Imagine my surprise when the Sheriff said, “Just what it says -- ‘fingers’”. Apparently there are two sets of fingers stored as evidence. I was so shocked, I never thought to ask what the cases were. I supposed I would find out soon enough, when we conducted the inventory.

I emailed my daughter-in-law that night and mentioned the “fingers” in my note. I went on to discuss an upcoming visit to me they were to make. Shortly afterwards, she answered me by email and stated that my son Matthew told her to inform me he did not want any finger food when they came! I laughed out loud when I read that.

The next night Matthew and I were talking on the telephone and he asked me if I remembered when he was a young mechanic working on a car in Denton and he found a toe. Horrified, I said I certainly did not remember that! “Yeah”, he said. “It was under the front fender and there was blood everywhere.” “Ohmigosh”, I replied, “What did you do??” “I called the toe truck”, he answered.

Gotcha! Again! He’s been doing that to me since he was four years old. I guess I’ll never learn.

Please don't ask about the fingers! I worked at the S.O. until about this time last year. Contrary to some rumors, I did not quit because of one very obnoxious deputy! I quit because of some very obnoxious cigarette smoke! Okay guys, get out there and make the good stuff happen. And don't forget to send warm fuzzies and prayers to our classmates in need. I'll keep you posted. Marilyn P.S, If you wish to send a comment, click on "Comments" at the bottom of this post, not on the little envelope.

2 comments:

  1. You really should write a book, Marilyn. Add this little goodie to the others, and you should have no trouble filling a manuscript. I'd buy it!!

    June

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the following waiting for me this morning. Guess the "toe" part was too good to pass up!

    Marilyn,

    True story: When I was in medical school, I was leaving Dallas on the old DFW turnpike early one Saturday morning heading west and away from Dallas when I noticed a trail of shredded fiberglass going up over a slight rise in the terrain. Upon topping the little hill, on the other side, there was an almost naked Corvette sitting upright but sideways in the bar ditch (barrow ditch for those unfortunates who live up north). I stopped to possibly render aid, being an incompletely trained good Samaritan, and found a highway patrolman really chewing out the former Corvette driver whom he had just given a speeding ticket only the day before, and his somewhat shook up but uninjured girlfriend standing by. The driver did mention that he had a vague pain in his foot, so I took off his shoe and his big toe fell out. That was his only injury except for the ticket he got for speeding again just before he rolled his denuded Corvette about five times. There was not three square feet of fiberglass left on the Corvette.

    James H.

    ReplyDelete