Monday, May 19, 2008

TEXAS RESOURCES ENHANCED

It's not a gold rush, it's not an oil boom, it's not an Emu or Bison ranch, but it promises to be as -- if not more beneficial to Texas landowners than all of the above. There seemed to me to be many, many more of these wind generators than this time last year. One rumor I heard was that a rancher in Sweetwater is being paid $2,000 a month for each generator placed on his land. The gossiping clerks in the convenience store said he had over 100 on his ranch. He was overheard saying he was making more money than he could spend! Imagine that!

I just returned from five days in Amarillo, and as always in the past few years, I was enchanted with the wind generators between here and there. I haven't decided if they look more like giant herons or some kind of futuristic spaceships. Whichever, they are definitely awe inspiring as they rise up off the plains or perch on the tops of hills. The ones pictured here I took between Blackwell and Sweetwater. I have a little nagging concern about the electromagnetic fields they create, and what that might do to animals or people living in their vicinity. My son-in-law pooh-poohed me for that fear. Of course, that could be because he and his father are working on a deal to put them on family land in the Amarillo area.

I don't know if any of you noticed (or even cared), but recently Bob Dylan was given a Pulitzer Prize for songwriting. Being a big fan of his in the 60s, I was really amazed to read this, as I think this is the first time ever for this category. I mentioned it in an email to DENNY HILL. The following is Denny's response to me:

“I once calculated that I arrived in NYC, and was hanging around Washington Square Park, which is very near NYU, about 2 months before Bob Dylan arrived there. I used to see him sitting on a bench in the park, with his guitar looking REALLY YOUNG. Somehow his intensity stood out already, just by his sitting there, gawking at the Village people.

Not too many months later, one night, as I was sitting in a coffee house on MacDougal Street, listening to ‘Rambling Jack Elliot’, between sets he told us this (Jack Elliot speaking):

‘So there is this incredible new folksinger and songwriter in town who has taken to me, and who usually shows up at my pad late at night to hang out and play some chords. But I hadn’t seen him for a few days, and was worried about him. Well, last night late, he knocked on my door. I said, Where have you been? He said, Oh, I was busy writing a new song. Would you like to hear it? And then he sat down in my kitchen and played for me “Mr. Tambourine Man”. It almost knocked me off my kitchen chair! You’ve got to go hear this guy! I think he just got a gig around the corner on Bleeker Street.’

So of course, I took his advice and went to see him, and in less than a year Dylan had become very famous.”

On May 5th I wrote JAMES HAYS to see how he was doing. I asked if he were walking 2-3 miles a day yet, and this was his response:

"1.2 miles now; going to see surgeon today. Able to sneeze ok now, but a hearty cough is still bad. I don't expect to feel good until 4-6 weeks post-op, but it is ok now except for mud wrassling." That was over two weeks ago, so I'll bet he's in even better condition now!

I also heard from ROSALYN (URBANTKE) HOELSCHER. She said she had just had a heart monitor implanted. She's optimistic that this will solve a lot of the cardiac problems she's been having in recent months.

A little sad news. NYDAH ELLET'S father died on May 7th. She said she feels it was what he wanted. He was 89 years old. Our condolences to you, Nydah.

This is a photo of my granddaughter Audrey during her "Giselle" solo at her last high school ballet performance. The second act of their Spring Concert was a very unusual -- and delightful ballet, choreographed by her dance instructor for the past several years. His father died last year, leaving a cedar closet full of his old suits -- many from the 70s. He coupled his dad's leisure suits with humorous music by Mozart and created a ballet like none other. These delicate dancers were outfitted in men's suits several sizes too large for them, along with their leotards and men's ties. I wish I had been able to capture a good photo of them, however, no flashes were allowed. Her dad, BOB BURTON and her other grandmother (Ann Burton), "Two", were also there to share this memorable family event. We were passing around the Kleenex, as is usual when we watch our grandchildren perform! Some of the tears were for the passing of the years. She's such a grown up young woman now.

This is Audrey (on the left below) with her ballet instructor's wife, Stephanie Parker, backstage between performances. Stephanie performs with Cirque du Soleil in Miami, but has been guest performer in three of her husband's ballets that I have attended. She's much prettier than this photo, but I wanted to show the costumes they wore for the Second Act. It was pretty unbelievable that they could even dance with them on. Of course, we thought Audrey was magnificent!



More news. GLENN SMITH has a young visitor from South America, who will be staying in Ballinger for a while. Glenn has sponsored her to come to the States to attend college. The last I heard, she has a scholarship to St. Mary's in San Antonio. Her name is Stephanie and from her photo, she is a lovely young woman. Stephanie sings. Boy!! does she sing! (I have heard a demo CD she made for auditions). She really, really wants to be on American Idol, and has the talent to go with that ambition. I think she will be going to summer school at ACU, so if you see her around town with Glenn, give her a big Texas welcome.

Happy Birthday, DON SIMMONS!!

Send me all your newsworthy items and photos. I'd love a story from all you great storytellers out there!

Until next time, keep on making "good stuff happen"!

Marilyn

No comments:

Post a Comment