Wednesday, October 24, 2007

WELCOME TO THE BHS CLASS OF '57 BLOG

Hello Everyone,

This is a first for me, but then the last few months I have experienced a lot of "firsts". I am hoping this one works for all of us so we can keep in touch.

I would like each of you to continue to share your stories from high school as well as the intervening years. Of course, we also want to hear what is currently going on in your life.

The Ballinger Ledger is publishing an article about our recent 50th Class Reunion. I wish there had been room to mention the names of everyone who attended. You are all equally important. If some of you who aren't Ledger subscribers would like to read the article, just let me know and I can send it to you via email or maybe post it on this site.

I especially want to mention other reunion committee members who helped accomplish such a wonderful event for us. Virginia Harral Egan, Patsy Berry Bomar, and Doris Stokes White contributed a lot in the way of time and effort to help from the beginning letters to the final touches on the Community Room. Virginia also has mailed the large class photos to members who were in attendance. Don Simmons, your muscle and assistance in moving the tables and chairs were greatly appreciated. And who could forget such an illustrious cleanup crew? Pictures don't lie. James, Denny, Walter, Jimmie, and even David Batts rolled up their sleeves and went to work with brooms and mops. Thanks to each and everyone of you.

I can't forget to thank our entertainers for the party held here at my house after our class reunion. "The Thoroughbred Three" were all in attendance: Ter Cothran, Walter Thomas, and Jeep Jackson. Jeep didn't bring a musical instrument, so he joined the rest of us who enjoyed performances by Ter and Walter, who played guitar, sang, and kept us rolling with laughter at their "Martin and Lewis" type jokes and patter. I hope you guys continue to play and practice for our next reunion in 2010.

Peggy Virden Sharp and Rosalyn Urbantke Hoelscher are both recovering at home. As both of these gals love to stay active and on the go, having to limit their activities for a few weeks is going to be extremely difficult for both of them. Cards, telephone calls, and even visits may be in order to boost their spirits and send your good wishes.

James Hays, with some sadness and more than a few tears, closed his medical practice of 37 years in Brownwood this past week. However, he intends to continue practicing medicine on a part-time basis
two days a week in Coleman. Should you have need of his services, you may call for an appointment at his new telephone number, 325-625-3533. House calls? I don't think he does those, but he still flies his plane. Perhaps?

I have news from June Hash Curry which I will share in a subsequent post. She also is in recovery mode from back surgery she had this past summer, which is why she was unable to attend our reunion. She indicated to me she would love to hear from her former classmates.

I will also try to get an update on Gene Routh's healing foot.

Nancy Thompson Baker and hubby Jake are spending this week in Las Vegas with their daughter Melissa and her husband Bryan Jones. They plan to come home with suitcases full of money. It is wonderful that Jake has recovered so well from the heart surgery he had in August.

Am I the only one who gets all misty-eyed and nostalgic over the Texas theater and the Texas Grill signs still up here in Ballinger? I would so love to see the Texas theater (even though it is located across the street from the original one) renovated. Anyone interested in starting a community theater?

Wow! This has turned into a long communication. I was once labeled a "compulsive communicator". Now we all know why. I love to talk ~ and write. I hope some of you do, too.

I'm going to put this "out there" in the ether now. I'm curious to know if any of you will read it.

'Til next time,
Marilyn

No comments:

Post a Comment