Sunday, November 25, 2007

COME FLY WITH ME

"Mom? What happened? Did you hang up and say to yourself, 'I think I'll take a little helicopter ride?'" "Something like that", I replied with a big grin. It was my older son Craig on the ICU portable telephone. We had had a long, happy telephone conversation the night before when he was on his way home from working at a new job he really enjoys. He had finally convinced the ICU nurses that it was not he who talked to me when I first came out of surgery, but it was his younger brother Matthew. Now it was his turn.

It was dark in my ICU room, and I had tubes and wires hooked up all over me. But I had a lot to smile about. The cardiologist had been to see me and to tell me that I was going to be all right. I was a success story. This was in the wee hours of the morning, Friday, November 16th. Dr. Harvey told me there did not appear to be any damage to my heart muscle, my other arteries were clear, and the two stents that he placed in the blocked artery that had caused my heart attack would keep that artery open from now on. He said I would be going home on Saturday, and that I could drive my car on Monday! Such wonderful news to someone who, only a few hours before, was in danger of dying.

As I relayed to Craig the events that took place after our conversation the night before, he laughed out loud when I told him how beautiful the lights of San Angelo appeared from the helicopter. He said he knew I must have been in a bad way if I thought that! But they really were beautiful that night. By that time, the morphine and nitroglycerin had done a good job and I was pain free. It seemed logical that I should be flying around in the sky -- close to God -- and accompanied by the three "angels" of the helicopter crew. I felt very safe, protected, and I knew it was not my time to go. There are just too many things I have yet to accomplish. Too many places I want to go... grandchildren I want to watch achieve their dreams... and too much I still haven't shared with the people I love.

My daughter Carajean, who was a Physician's Assistant at one time, showed up from Amarillo about the time I was being moved out of ICU. It was not enough for her to talk to me by telephone. Her medical training increased her worries I'm afraid. She had to be there up front and personal to be assured that I am, indeed, going to recover fully, and probably be healthier than ever.

My cardiologist said to keep doing whatever I'm doing (i.e., not smoking, healthy eating, exercise, meditation). That this blockage more than likely was caused by the years of heavy smoking I did not give up until 1999. I had a "near-death experience" that year when I was extremely ill and hospitalized with the flu. This time I think of what I went through as a "near-life experience"!

Nancy was my best friend all over again when she dropped everything to come to my house and rush me to the ER. She and Glenn Smith were with me throughout that long night. She made all the necessary telephone calls for me and they both were smiling and comforting me at each move. Somehow the two of them beat the helicopter to Shannon Hospital! It seemed so surreal to me... and to have them there with me made it seem like just another adventure on my life's journey.

It was indeed a very Happy Thanksgiving this year. I enjoyed every minute of the meal preparation, and the food never tasted so good! After well wishes and a visit on the web camera with my children and grandchildren, I slept better that night than many a night. Life is good..... and Good Stuff Happens!

...Marilyn Moragne

P.S.
Everyone in my emergency care asked me the same question that night. "Did you take aspirin?" I definitely did, about five minutes after the pain started. That and deep coughing helped me hang on, I'm sure. Visit the American Heart Association website and familiarize yourself with the symptoms of a heart attack and what to do until help arrives.
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

  1. Well, Marilyn, that was indeed a great life experience. Wow!! You're right, you know--it was not your time to go. And I'm sure we're all glad about that.

    Thanks for sharing this tremendous event with your friends.

    Love, June

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey class of '57 classmates

    I was quite surprised when my phone rang a little after 10 pm on Thursday, November 16. Nancy Baker told me she was at the Ballinger hospital ER, having taken Marilyn there a few minutes earlier. When I arrived 10 minutes later, medical personnel were telling Marilyn that they had ordered Shannon Hospital's helicopter. She protested but the physician's assistant on duty told her she didn't have any choice.

    I asked to go on the chopper to keep her company, but that was ruled out--not enough room. By the time Nancy and I got to Nancy's car, we could hear the helicopter approaching. "Drive as fast as you feel comfortable," she said as she handed me her keys.

    We beat the chopper by 13 minutes, said hello to a priest who was in Shannon's ER hallway. He was waiting to see if he was needed to administer "last rights" to the incoming helicopter passenger.

    Nancy and I waited while the EMTs hooked her up to hospital monitors and a nurse said "sign here and initial here and here." Marilyn handed the pen back and her gurney headed into an elevator. "I'm ok; it's all going to be ok," she said.

    Two hours later we were in Marilyn's ICU room as they wheeled her in smiling. She left a day and a half later, stopping at Wal-mart on the way home to buy aspirin and get a Plavix prescription filled.

    The following day she accompanied her daughter to Mathis Field. As we left the airport, she asked to go past the helicopter pad at Shannon. That's when she took the photos you saw on her blog.

    Marilyn did a phenomenal amount of work to make the reunion successful. (Of course others did too.) The handbook she created puts us in touch with each other in a special way. Her blog extends that communication. Let's all show her our appreciation by sending in photos and comments and stories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoops, Glenn... it was Thursday night, November 15th (not 16th) that this happened.

    I like the fact that the priest was there to give me last "rights" instead of last "rites"!! My rights included the right to continue living a life of joy and love for a while longer... That's gotta be it!

    Thank you so much for your support. I know that your hypnosis session in the hospital was a big help in my speedy recovery! We all should be so lucky as to have good friends like you....

    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. (Paul Mota sent me the following email):

    Hi,
    This is Paul.
    Glad to hear all came out fine in that scary adventure.
    I recently experienced a similar event but not that urgent.
    We give the drug companies a lot of business by our
    aging and lifestyles. I also am trying to make the changes needed.
    ....
    A merry Christmas to all from the Class of 1957.

    ReplyDelete