Saturday, November 10, 2007

ELM CREEK DAM - II

Here's another view of the Elm Creek Dam at the Ballinger City Park. Now you can visualize the "drop" Neil and friends made as their boat went over and they were dumped into the water below. I hope the water wasn't as rough then as it is in this photo. (The Colorado River crested at 7.5 feet this day!) That dead tree would have been a painful barrier to get past, too.

Now I want to take a photograph of the "hill" going down into the park. That hill holds memories, too. I had to learn to park a standard shift car on that hill. I'm sure Coach Gosney suffered through a few scary moments during those lessons. Also, when we had snow and ice -- which wasn't that often, I remember Bob Burton, Kirk Brunson, and others connecting an old car hood to the back of their car and pulling guys down the hill on the ice! It really is a wonder no one ever got injured.

Do you remember, too?

Marilyn
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. Speaking of Elm Creek, does anyone else remember the swimming hole at 4-mile crossing? There was a heavy rope tied to a tree limb. We used it to Tarzan out over the water before dropping in. My parents' farm was two miles away, and I sometimes took breaks from plowing to see if anyone was there. One time I found several girls from the class but no skinny dipping was happening. They looked cute enough in one-piece swim suits for me to show up other days. Alas, I was often the only one there.

    I'm sure a lot of class members had jobs in the summer. At the time, I thought I was the only one who had to work every day except Sunday.

    ReplyDelete